Welcome to the once a month blogger! The purpose of this blog is really to share ideas/thoughts/projects and maybe even a story or two!

I became a stay at home mom after having my second child. As a new stay at home mom I wanted a way to document the things I'm working on as well as share with anyone who might care to listen. I have gotten so many great ideas from others that I want to pay it forward in any way I can.

As for the name, "The Once a Month Blogger," Well, I have to be honest, that is extremely ambitious for me! I've had a personal blog site for about 6-7 years and have probably written on it less than a dozen times. My posts aren't likely to be long. I like to try to keep things as brief as possible!

As a warning, if you're looking for comic relief or inspiring literary genius...you won't find it here. But

I promise I will do my best to post once a month or more, even if only to briefly update you on a current project. Hopefully you can find something you'll like!

Monday, June 15, 2015

Under the Sea Birthday Party

Things have been a little crazy lately, but I have some fun posts as of a result of the craziness of my life!!  One of my favorites is today's post.  I loved this Under the Sea Party. It was A LOT of work, but so worth it!  And it was fairly budget friendly too!

I tried to have a good combination of sweets/healthy food.  So here's what we have:

Seaweed grapes-  I found an awesome deal on grapes the Saturday before the party, so I put them on skewers and put them in the freezer until just before the party.  And who doesn't love frozen grapes?!
Ocean Jelly-  Blue raspberry Jello with whipped cream and swedish fish on a bed of graham cracker crust.
Goldfish Crackers
Shark Gummies- I found them in bulk at Winco.
Ocean Juice- Blue Koolaid packet with sugar and a 2 Liter bottle of Sprite.
Cake- Obviously!!
Starfish- Watermelon
Octopus Seaweed Dip- Yellow Bell Pepper cut to look like an octopus topped on a bowl of spinish dip.


 For decorations I wanted a backdrop that I could use to take pictures of each of the kids.  I've seen some really cute backdrops that used a lot of ribbon and lace.  They are super cute, but a little out of my budget.  So I just used streamers and some mesh netting I found at Joann's for a couple bucks.  The netting was originally about 12 inches wide, so I gut them into thirds.  I really liked how the shiny netting added to it. (plus, netting...fish...Just makes sense, right?!)  I did add a couple strands of ribbon, but I don't really feel like it added anything extra to the backdrop. 

 


The tablecloth was one of my favorite decorations!  It was really simple, and fairly cheap to make too.  I used fabric I found at Joann's.  The sequin-like material make it look like scales, though there was some material that looked even more like scales, but I wasn't about to spend $25 a yard on the fabric, even if I could  use a coupon on it! The fabric I got was $8 a yard and I used a 50% off coupon.  Doesn't get much better than that!  My table was 42" square, so I just got enough to cover the top.  I used strips of tulle for the "skirt" part of the table.  I needed about 3 1/3 yards for a 3 foot high table.  I only did three sides, though, so if you were going to do all 4 sides, you will need more. 

I also used a fishing net from the dollar store to hold up some balloons.  I attached some starfish that I purchased here onto the fishing net. 

I wanted the girls to be able to dress up for their picture, so I made a little mermaid skirt and a starfish headband.  I used the tutorial for the mermaid skirt found here.  For the headband I got sequin stretchy trim from Joann and used some shabby chic flowers, wedding veil netting, furry trim and a starfish.  I'm pleasantly surprised with the results!!



I also made an octopus out of a balloon and streamers, and jellyfish out of balloons, tulle, a plastic tablecloth, and ribbon.  I love the way they turned out too!! 



And what's an under the sea party without a few fish?!  Just a warning, though.  Without a filtering system, you'll need to find a way to continue to give them oxygen. I added some tap water (maybe not the best way) that seemed to help add some oxygen to the water.  Sadly, our fish didn't last too long...

For party favors I made some pearl necklaces with large pearl beads and some ribbon.  (I had to use a needle and pliers to get the ribbon through, because the pearl holes were so small.) 



As for the cake...I can't, by any means, claim that as my own!  I have an awesome friend who traded me a cake for a photo session.  Otherwise that cake probably would have cost me $75. 



Games:  For an under the sea party you have to have water games, right?!  We set up a couple kiddie pools for them to play in.  One had a board across it for a "walk the plank" game.  The favorite, by far, was the slip'n'slide.  We have a wonderful little hill in our backyard that is perfect for sledding in the winter and slip'n'slide in the summer.  The kids LOVED it. 



All in all, it was a super fun party.  I have to say, I'm glad it's over.  Now I can start stressing about my newest adventure, and coincidentally, my newest post series...Videography.  To stay posted on all my adventures, be sure to sign up for email notices!

No comments:

Post a Comment