Welcome to the once a month blogger! The purpose of this blog is really to share ideas/thoughts/projects and maybe even a story or two!

I became a stay at home mom after having my second child. As a new stay at home mom I wanted a way to document the things I'm working on as well as share with anyone who might care to listen. I have gotten so many great ideas from others that I want to pay it forward in any way I can.

As for the name, "The Once a Month Blogger," Well, I have to be honest, that is extremely ambitious for me! I've had a personal blog site for about 6-7 years and have probably written on it less than a dozen times. My posts aren't likely to be long. I like to try to keep things as brief as possible!

As a warning, if you're looking for comic relief or inspiring literary genius...you won't find it here. But

I promise I will do my best to post once a month or more, even if only to briefly update you on a current project. Hopefully you can find something you'll like!

Friday, May 19, 2017

Carmelized Onion and Mushroom Swiss Panini with Au Jus


Paninis have become a staple in our house lately.  It all started because we realized we couldn't keep up our Zupas habit and still send our children to college.  We discovered a great copycat recipe for their basil pesto chicken sandwich, but have loved coming up with new creations. 
This one is a new favorite for me.  I love a good steak, but I don't always like to have meat for every meal.  This one is delicious, filling and still tastes nice and meaty!  It is so easy to make and it is incredible with the Au Jus!

Carmelized Onion and Mushroom Swiss Panini


  • 2 Small Onions or 1 Large Onion, thinly sliced
  • 8 oz sliced mushrooms
  • Swiss Cheese
  • Olive Oil
  • Mayonaise
  • Ciabatta Bread

Au Jus Sauce

  •  2 C Water
  • 1 tsp Beef Bouillon
  • 1 tsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
  • 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
  • Pepper to taste  
 Instructions:
    Heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet.  Add the onion and mushrooms. 















Assemble the sandwiches.  Spread a layer of mayonaise on each slice of bread.  Add a slice of swiss cheese.  Top with carmelized onion and mushroom and the other slice of bread.  Place in panini press for approximately 5 minutes.
    For the au jus put all of the ingredients in a small pot.  I like to use the Better than Bouillon from Costco.  It's seriously the best.















Bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes.  Let cool and serve with the paninis.  Enjoy!!!
















If you don't love Au Jus like I do, I suggest adding some Garlic Aioli with the mayonaise.  I love adding this to many of our paninis.  Here's what we use.  Try it both ways!!


2 comments: