Welcome to the once a month blogger! The purpose of this blog is really to share ideas/thoughts/projects and maybe even a story or two!

I became a stay at home mom after having my second child. As a new stay at home mom I wanted a way to document the things I'm working on as well as share with anyone who might care to listen. I have gotten so many great ideas from others that I want to pay it forward in any way I can.

As for the name, "The Once a Month Blogger," Well, I have to be honest, that is extremely ambitious for me! I've had a personal blog site for about 6-7 years and have probably written on it less than a dozen times. My posts aren't likely to be long. I like to try to keep things as brief as possible!

As a warning, if you're looking for comic relief or inspiring literary genius...you won't find it here. But

I promise I will do my best to post once a month or more, even if only to briefly update you on a current project. Hopefully you can find something you'll like!

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

DIY Diaper Cake

If you don't know me, I'm the type of person that loves to be social, but I thrive best when I have two or three really good friends.  You know the kind I mean?  The bosom buddy, call you in the middle of the night, doesn't care if you see them ugly cry, friend.  I have one such friend that recently had a baby.  When I asked her what she needed she immediately replied, "diapers!"  That's the kind of friends we are.  Not afraid to ask for something she actually needs, rather than something "cute". 

But if you really know me, you know that I couldn't just wrap up a box of diapers and call it good.  It still had to be cute.  Enter the diaper cake.  What better way to offer such an unattractive gift?!  I also knew that she would need formula, and that I also wanted to be able to give her that "cute" thing that she wouldn't ask me for.  So this worked out perfectly!



To make the diaper cake I used about 100 size 1 diapers.  I rolled up each diaper and put a little girl rubber hair tie around it, though that step isn't necessarily required.  I put a layer of rolled diapers around the formula container and held it in place with a regular rubberband.  I kept adding layers until I felt it was big enough for a base. 




For the next layer I started with three diapers in the middle and added more around the edge until, again, it was big enough to be the next layer.  Anytime I felt like the diapers were too much for me to hold on to I added a rubberband. 



For the top layer I wanted to give her a cute outfit, so I rolled it up to look loosely like a cake topper.  I surrounded it with rolled diapers until it was big enough for the top layer of a cake and secured it with a rubberband. 



I had some burlap ribbon lying around so I wrapped each layer with that, gluing the ends together.  I topped that with some cute ribbon, gluing those ends together.  That's it!  It's pretty simple and really doesn't take too long!  And it showed that there was more thought behind it than giving a box of diapers.  I'd love to see any of your fabulous diaper cake ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment